Located directly across the Cooper River from Charleston, Mount Pleasant is one of the most desirable areas for those living in the Lowcountry. Because of its close proximity to Charleston as well as the beautiful Charleston beaches (15 minutes!), Mount Pleasant is a great choice for those working in the city. In the town of Mount Pleasant, the local Mount Pleasant real estate offers many Mount Pleasant golf communities close to the ocean, Mount Pleasant new construction developments and beautiful historic homes. Mount Pleasant has seen tremendous growth residentially as well as commercially in the past few years and has much to offer its residents.
History of Mount Pleasant
Mt. Pleasant is located directly across the new Cooper River Bridge. At the heart of Mt. Pleasant is the "old village" which is designated a National Register Historical District with gracious homes from the colonial and antebellum periods.
Originally occupied by the Sewee Indians, Mount Pleasant´s first white settlers arrived from England on July 6, 1680 under the leadership of Captain Florentia O´Sullivan. Captain O´Sullivan had been granted 2,340 acres which included not only the island that bears his name, but also the land that was to become Mount Pleasant. On the earliest map of the time this area was called "North Point."
In 1696 fifty-one new settlers arrived. Each family was allotted several hundred acres in the area that became known as Christ Church parish. In 1706 the Province of Carolina withstood several attacks by the Spanish and the French and were victorious in defeating French invaders in an area known as "Abcaw"
The area of "Abcaw" was Hobcaw Plantation, located between Shem Creek and the Wando River. Later, it was also known as shipyard Plantation because its deep water and abundance of good timber made it ideal for a prosperous shipbuilding enterprise. Lands adjacent to Hobcaw Point were owned at different times by several different families, many of which maintained ferries which served Mount Pleasant. In 1770 Andrew Hibben obtained a ferry charter and bought land from Jacob Motte on the south side of Shem Creek. Hibben´s ferry was the first to connect Haddrell´s Point with the city of Charleston. Mount Pleasant played a leading role in the first major military engagement and victory of the Revolutionary War. When Charleston finally fell to the British on November 12, 1775 Cornwallis crossed the Cooper River with 2,500 troops and took possession of Haddrell´s Point. The British headquarters is said to have been the home of Jacob Motte, later known as Hibben House.